Sunday, October 24, 2010

Traveling Never Gets Old!

I wanted to start this post out writing about my RECENT trip to North America.  However, with every passing day...it is becoming more of a distant memory.  How does time just fly by?  I am trying to not be such a procrastinator, as I hate that quality in myself.  I also dislike that I am impatient, so I guess for now I'll have to settle with the idea that "Rome wasn't built in a day" and carry on.  Although, I am going to try and be better about getting my ideas down in this blog.  

As a lot of you probably already know, my little sister Colette just got married this past summer.  Chris and I were excited to get to be there for the big day, as well as get to go on a holiday.  We touched down in LA LA LAND and had a few fun filled days with my sister Heidi, brother-in-law Dave, and Colette.  For those of you who may NOT know, Heidi is expecting a little baby girl in December, so I feel the need to count the little baby fetus in there too. ;)

LA is a trip.  Everything your heart desires, shopping, beach, theme parks, sports, etc...hell, even the air smells like food.  It's like my own personal heaven.  Needless to say, we overindulged ourselves many times on that front.  I will let the pizza slice the size of my head do the talking.





From LA we flew to DC, since Colette's fiance, Ian is from Virginia.  We rented a car and drove to his hometown of Ruckersville, VA.  We met his darling little family (little by numbers standards since Ian is 6'9 and his dad almost 6'5!) and met up with a few cousins from our side that came to town for the festivities.  The next day we went on a hike in the Shenandoah Valley with my family.  




We all enjoyed ourselves down the leisurely trail, while Andrew(nephew)and I brought up the rear collecting pretty close to EVERY acorn we saw.  This wouldn't be the last of the acorns, as these nuts would mysteriously appear in the most random places for the next few days.  We'd be eating in a restaurant, and pick up his jacket to leave and WHAM!! 10 acorns would be rolling their way across the California Pizza Kitchen.  It was adorable. 

Also on the hike, we ran across Pappy.  Pappy was short for Papillon (butterfly in French).  This wasn't just an ordinary butterfly.  It was a butterfly with issues.  Al lovingly picked it up, and could practically stroke its wings like he would a lap dog.  It didn't fly away.  So he jokingly put it on his shoulder...it wouldn't fly away.  He even went to throw him in the air to force flight upon him...he wouldn't fly away.  By the end of the hour hike, he and Pappy had developed some kind of satisfying friendship.  I wish I had a better ending to this story, like Pappy and Allen have enjoyed a fruitful frienship that few can call their own.  However, we sadly put him on a branch and left him at the park.


note: pappy even made it in the group shot

I am getting away with myself here.  We headed back to the Johnson family home to help out with the decorating.  We had some lanterns, and then hang them in the tent.  It was a funny process by which EVERYONE had their two cents to put forth, but it was also a lot of fun.  
After that we had a big supper at the Johnson house.  It was really fun to get to visit with our family and cousins, and meet and get to know Ian's family a bit better.

The next day was the WEDDING DAY!!!  Once we were all ready, the photographer orchestrated the first meeting for Colette and Ian.  She led him into the little forest in front of the house, and had him turn around.  She then led Colette up to him and had him turn around.  We were all watching from the big front window, and I'll be darned if there was a dry eye in the house.  I remember when I got married, that that moment was one that I'll never forget.  When you first lay eyes on them, looking all classy...it's a magical moment.

We took some pictures with the wedding crew, and then it was time for the big ceremony.  It was one of the most beautiful and touching ceremonies.  There was a string quartet and the weather was just perfect.  The bridesmaids all walked down the hill, and I was the last one.  Behind me came the ring bearer, my little nephew Andrew.  He is only 3, and did a fantastic job-even if he was launching the pillow in the air the whole way down the aisle.  Because he was behind me, everyone was laughing at his charades.  I was a little nervous that I had accidentally tucked my dress into my pantyhose or something!


The reception was wonderful.  Lovely food, and PLENTY of dancing. Most of you have probably had the pleasure of seeing my mom bust a groove-so it is safe to say that there was not ever a dry spell on that dance floor!!  
yes, i love my parents! look at them gettin' down with their bad selves!  so awesome!

wow, me, cokes and ian cuttin the rug.  who said you don't learn anything at college? hahah
Colette and Ian looked lovely, and very happy.  Now all the Meek girls are married...Al, looks like the pressure is on you wild cat. ;)

The next day was DC.  It is an adorable little city, and I really enjoyed all the sites.  The smithsonian is absolutely unreal, and I would suggest that you give that attraction AMPLE time if you are headed that way.  I was sad to have to rush through it so quickly.  We also were able to see the original constitutional documents.  Insane to think how old some of those are.  I remember that the Magna Carta was dated back to something like 1297!!!



The rest of the trip consisted of a WAY TO QUICK trip back to Edmonton, and then another speedy trip to San Diego for time with my Idaho girls, and my other best friend Megs.  I was sad to have to go back to work...but it was SUCH a great trip.  I got to see everyone I absolutely love.  It was a monumental time for my sister and new bro-in-law and we were happy to get to be a part of it. 

N'Importe Quoi

  • there's nothing like a home cooked meal around your family's supper table
  • i am afraid of heights...not irritatingly phobic or anything, but there is NO way I could ever skydive
  • don't be fooled by new flip flops-no matter how comfy you think they are, you will always get blisters :(
  • little kids say the cutest things (especially my little nephew)


Enhanced by Zemanta

4 comments:

  1. :)

    And how did I not get caught up to speed on Pappy?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a perfect trip! That picture of your parents dancing just makes me smile........they are just too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow - that pizza is....um....wow. I think one slice could feed my whole family.
    I'm not sure I've seen your dad bust a groove like that one...also wow :)
    Weddings are so great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I prefer to think of Al as: The lone wolf.

    ReplyDelete