Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Christmas in the Summer?!

It's December 1st today and that means that the road to Christmas is officially in full swing.  I am probably going to sound like a grinch for most of this post, so if you are the person that is pulling out Christmas decorations and making gingerbread in the middle of November...you might want to shield your eyes.


The main problem is, it's really hard to get in the Christmas spirit when it's so hot out.  I'm not coming right out and saying that I miss the cold weather, especially when there are Facebook status updates saying that "Edmontonians are enjoying being able to keep their groceries frozen in the backyard, since it's -30!".  However, there seems to be some kind of trigger on your internal clock, that when the weather gets chilly, and the days get shorter...it's time to ring in the yule tide cheer.   


My friend and I were talking about throwing a Christmas party here, and I suggested the usual egg nog party, ugly sweater party, etc.  When she kind of crumpled her brow saying "it's too hot for sweaters here".   We were going to try and modify it to something else, but "ugly tank top/singlet party" just doesn't have the same ring...or look.  




The second thing to get used to about Australian Christmas is that the Christmas carols are the same  as back home.  I don't particularly love Christmas carols anyway, so I was looking forward to singing about beach bound Santa Clause instead of Frosty the Snowman.  


And lastly, there seems to be a shortage of lights on houses.  Or maybe you just can't see them as well since it stays light longer, but it is only the beginning of the month so I may stand corrected on that one.




Aside from all the superficial things, I think that gift giving should stop when you are about 12.  Mostly because I suck at buying presents, and it stresses me out.  But also because we live in a time when people buy things they want, instead of wait all year to put them on their wish list.  Christmas to me is more about being around family and playing games, and eating until you are sick.  This year however, we're staying put up in Rockhampton, so it looks like we will have to substitute Christmas dinner with the shrimp cocktail.

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree that it is hard to feel Christmasy if it is anything but cold. It is much more pleasant putting up the lights without dealing with ice though.
    Is everything going well with the house?

    ReplyDelete