Tuesday, November 23, 2010

When Tiny Shorts Happen to Good People

I am tired of thinking or writing about buying a house...so I thought I would respond to a comment that Heather made in my last post about what Aussies wear as our alternative to big, baggy sweatpants.  They don't really dress all that sloppy, but one fashion trend that has me boggled is the short shorts...on dudes.  The situation is twofold.  First there are rugby shorts which are really short, and should not be worn off the field...(if ever, sorry Chris!).  And secondly, there are the older gents that roll around in business pants cut off into daisy dukes.  I'm talking a good 6-8 inches of trim, tanned upper-thigh.  I couldn't really get the exact photo that I wanted to exemplify this, but these came pretty close.


At least he's still having a good time.

It's a big hot here for a business jacket, and the loafers are usually substituted with sandals.
This picture is pretty spot on as well.

I think that if all of the specimens trouncing around looked like this, I wouldn't be complaining...



Some funny yet serious material I stumbled across while doing my "research" on google.  As my friend Jordan Mador says "eye-muffs may be necessary" for the following:

Clearly the shorts aren't the only thing that needs to be addressed...
Badass
Taking short to a whole new level...I shudder to think what the view is from the front.  Awesome stance btw.
If you got it, flaunt it.
Not even this body can make that look attractive.

Grandpa's wearing such a shocker that no one stops to watch how he's holding little  Annabelle.
In looking through a bunch of pictures online I came across the enlightenment that they are affectionately called "Stubbies" here in Australia.  This guy says it better than I ever could on this site.  My personal favorite is when he is explaining how the shorts started out for construction workers: "Their official nickname is "the little shorts for the big jobs." Well, I don't know if they can hold up to the big jobs, but they sure are little with their 2.75" inseam!"

Behold the Stubbie
I will say that it has a pretty fantastic range of motion.



Anyway, there you have it.  Next time you are planning a trip to my neck of the woods you better be doing your lunges prior to, otherwise you will be sorry.  Oh and don't even get me started on the speedo...




















4 comments:

  1. I love learning about different "cultures". I guess short shorts aren't as gender specific as once thought...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my! Baggy sweats are looking better and better :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a friend from New Zealand who introduced us to Stubbies. Search on YouTube and you'll find a beer commercial that looks like it's from the 70's. That's where your last 2 images came from. It's a very funny video.

    ReplyDelete