Sunday, May 15, 2011

Anzac Day

Anzac Day is a public holiday here, commemorating the day the Aussie's first landed on Gallipoli, Turkey in 1915.  It is sort of like a "Rememberance Day" part deux, if you will.  Being a foreigner, I wasn't sure how I'd feel on this day.  Patriotic?  Out of place?  Aside from the obvious of having a day off work, the result is, I have grown to really, really love this holiday.  Last year, we were on a holiday to Airlie Beach, Great Barrier Reef during Anzac Day.  We had slept through the dawn service (this year it was at 4:28am...youch!), but made it to the little township for the parade/march.  Let's just say, I couldn't stop crying.  I chalked it up to being female, and not really having much control over my emotions on certain days of the month.  However, being 2 for 2 after this year, got me thinking even deeper about where this was all coming from.  Good thing it's always bright here, so I can throw on the old "sunnies" for cover.

The parade consists of every battalion past and present that has served or continues to serve their country.  There are marching, pipe and drum bands sprinkled through every once in a while, but mostly it is just quiet-with people clapping.  They clap the whole time, for the entire parade.  It's a harrowing feeling in the air, while you are literally looking in the faces of these old men and women who saw everything first hand.  They march with such pride and honour.  It feels like they are almost replaying parts of history.  In learning about the history of the nursing profession at university, and studying the evolution of the female role due to the women's liberation movement-it was particularly special to see the women marching along as they were the catalysts of the time, opening the gates to such simple things we all take for granted.  This march goes on for 2 hours!  Each person proudly wearing their medals, and if a person has passed away, a family member can march on their behalf, keeping their legacy going.


This post was started on the actual day (April 25th)...however I am crap at actually getting it finished, and the pictures etc, and well I am a perfectionist.  So, I’m trying to be better about that so bear with.

Since Anzac day, was the killing of Osama Bin Laden.  It has sort of not made me not want to post this  or anything political about war.  I don’t want to open up any cans of worms, but I suppose was, is and will be an inevitable part of the world.  One day, it would be really great if we could look back and see how many times history repeats itself.  So many of us get to live in a place where fighting is not close to our doorstep and that is a true blessing.  Peace is a beautiful thing...

1 comment:

  1. You aren't the only one who cries on Anzac Day... I did when I witnessed my own parade when I was there. It's a moving tribute to those here and gone.

    ReplyDelete