Sunday, January 30, 2011

1 Month down already...

It is ridiculous to think that there is already, only 11 months left of this year!  I thought I had done an earlier post but apparently I hadn't so, so take this opportunity to let you get a drink...maybe a light snack and settle in for the long haul.

We moved in just before Christmas and pretty much spent the entire holiday getting our stuff in, organizing it and learning how to take care of this new property!  There are so many plants I have to try and learn, and a pool to master.  The might not be pretty!  I did discover that we have a lime tree, and we have loved having fresh limes around.  So tasty!  The downside...they are FULL of seeds!  The last one I cut into I counted 27, and that is NOT an exaggeration.  However, at the end of the day-I am still just a small town Canadian that is baffled by the idea that this fruit can actually be grown right in my own backyard.  I mentioned to my boss, Ellie some time ago that we have "Christmas oranges" and she about died laughing.  She finally replied by saying, "what's so special about a mandarin"?  Then the next time I was at the supermarket I decided to take note of all the different kinds of citrus fruits, just readily available 365 days of the year...



The pool is another story, and won't be a skill mastered in a day.  Who knew there were so many components to regulate-salt, ph, calcium?  It is a slow process but I am learning.  We entertained for the first time around the pool for Australia Day which was on January 26th.  Fabulous weather, tasty food, and great friends.  I had to go buy sausages which are lovingly known here as "snags" and I was a bit out of my element.  Low fat, no fat, full fat, garlic/herb, cheese, beef, pork...I felt a little overwhelmed.  But being a permanent resident of this great land, I better learn the ropes sometime! hahaha.  Here are some pics from the day:
Our friend, Luke and his baby girl Maddie.  "I'm just going to dunk her".

The Mapps, and Sarah Dyer...and a scowl from me?  I must have been looking in disgust at our "coffee table".   I was takin savvy to a whole new level...


N'importe Quoi
  • I'm not entirely sure as to why girls here think that it's nice to have the pockets of your jean shorts about 2 inches longer than the actual shorts.  If you ask me, that is a pretty good indicator that they are TOO short!  Hideous.
  • I just watched the first episode of "The Bachelor", and I think I recognize one of the bachelorettes...does anybody else recognize Keltie (the Radio City Rockette girl) from Bev Facey?  If that really is here...she sold ol Sherwood Park out-she put her hometown as Hollywood!?! :(
  • I always get sad at the close of the Australian Open...but for some reason this year hasn't been as good...
  • I had my first Cornetto in 19 years (what the hell?! I don't even feel old enough to be able to use that expression) since I got one in France when my family lived there, and my mom would bribe my little brother with them if he went to school.

4 comments:

  1. first off, I got bribed for the cornettos to go to school without crying too so just to set the story straight. second, AMAZING use of an underused ironing board hahaha i love it. third, no mention of the poochie?

    ReplyDelete
  2. cokes, glad you set the record straight...especially because it highlights the cutoff period was with the bottom 2. I on the other hand, was required to go to school, without the thought of cold, creamy deliciousness at my 2 hour lunch break!! hahah. Point #2, I was relieved to see that you used the appropriate terminology when describing the "UNDERUSED" ironing board. Point #3: mutt is getting his OWN post, of course. I'm working on it now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. that is totally Keltie. So weird.

    ReplyDelete